Last night, as I began my experiment in recording myself reading my posts, I discovered a few things:
- The last time I recorded my voice on purpose, Bill Clinton was president.
- At that time I had a professional studio at my command.
- The mic in my laptop sitting at my desk in a large room DOES NOT sound like a studio.
- The breath-guard on pro mics is distinctly useful.
- Without practice on a bad mic, my voice is monotonous and could put even hyperactive ADD kids on crack to sleep.
That being said, I did get the first one posted, and (as suggested) included a link to download the file offline for those that prefer to listen via a specific app instead of inline in the blog post. I used my “1827 Days” post as my guinea pig, I’ll continue to record and insert more over the next few days as I attempt to improve my process/technique/set-up.
I don’t think I’ll ever sound like Ira Glass or Frank Deford, but hopefully it will get a bit better than that first attempt. Nothing is ever perfect the first time you try it, and I’m ok with that.